Decree honoring ambassadors from Herakleia to the Roman emperor
Originally published by Latyshev, commentary by Solomonik
This marble slab was uncovered in 1893 near Uvarov basilica (its bottom is missing).
The monument dates to the period about the mid-2nd century A. D.
Proedroi of the Chersonesites, who are in Taurica, proposed: whereas the most pious our fathers of Herakleia, with the kindred sympathy, rendering care for the sake of ours, applied every effort and all the true love and sent an embassy to our god and sovereign, emperor Titus Aelius Hadrian Antoninus to intercede for us, did not despise in anything, and made the divine answers and favorably given benefactions known through the most reverend men Herakleidos son of Menestheos and Proklos son of Memnon, for their honesty became evident, we have nation-widely acknowledged it necessary to render (them) befit recompenses. Therefore, be it resolved by the council and the people to praise for this our progenitor, the great city, and the first (...)".
This is honorific decree for the ambassadors, who were sent by Heraklaia, metropolis of Chersonesos, to Rome, to the emperor Antoninus Pius (A. D. 138-161) asking for help for Chersonesos. Although centuries passed from the time when the colonists had left Herakleia to found Chersonesos, this decree called Herakleia the "progenitor city".
Proedroi (literally "those who seat in front") were chairpersons in the council of the city community. One of the proedroi's duties was to propose projects of resolutions for the city and people's assembly.
Translation by © N. Khrapunov.