Decree honoring Diophantos
Original publication and commentary by Solomonik
This fragment of a grayish marble slab was found in 1910 near Karantinnaya (Quarantine) bay and dated to the late 2nd century BC.
This inscription informs about the Scythian fortress of Napites that existed in the Crimea. This fort is not mentioned in the decree for Dipohantos neither in the Strabo's Geography. The person who was honored by the decree both provided his fellow citizens with money to fortify the system of defense of Chersonesos and himself took part in military operations aimed against the fortress of Napites.
Translation by © N. Khrapunov.