Decree honoring Diophantos
Originally published by Vasiliy Vasil'yevich Latyshev, commentary by Ella Isaakovna Solomonik
This base of statue is made of white marble and dates to the 3rd century BC. According to Pavel Sumarakov's information, it was discovered in 1794 and then transported to Odessa. After the Second World War, the stone was handed to the museum of Chersonesos, where it is stored at this moment. There are eight inscriptions carved in its sides and encircled by relief ivy and laurel wreathes. Some of the inscriptions are greatly damaged.
This Agasikles was awarded with highest honors undoubtedly because he was a great public figure in Chersonesos: he was elected to important state posts and provided several measures to improve the chora and the city and to strengthen the defense of the latter.
Translation by © N. Khrapunov.